Monday, September 19, 2011

Fairytale meet Reality

This afternoon was a bit out of the ordinary for us. Usually by the time Cameron gets home from school our day is winding down a bit. Today we had a dentist appointment so we were on the run all afternoon.
Andrew is TDY, so I decided that tonight would be a good night to use Cameron's free kids meal from Chick Fil A. I also decided that instead of drive thru we would go inside and eat and then play in the play place.
In my mind it was going to be a wonderful time. We were going to have stimulating conversation at the table, there was going to be giggling and small woodland creatures were going to appear and nibble out of our hands while calming music played in the backround. We were going to be the family that everyone looked at and wished they could be.
That picture quickly evaporated walking in the door. Reagan lost her shoe in the parking lot and wouldn't let me put it on until I had her strapped in the high chair. We place our order uneventfully and make it to our table. After getting the kids settled I sat down and began to ask Cameron about his day. This conversation was interrupted when Reagan, who had decided she didn't want to eat she just wanted to drink the lemonade, punctured the cup with the straw, emptying the contents on the table, chair and floor.
As I began to clean it up Cameron announced that he had to go to the bathroom. That is when it hit me, this was the first time I had taken both kids out to eat all by myself. Usually it is with a friend or my lovely husband. I look up and we are close to the bathroom so I tell Cameron just to go ahead and go, and come right back.
Soon we were all sitting back down to enjoy our meals, but that quickly ended when Reagan announced that she was full and tried to push her food off the table.
I packed up the food, promising Cameron that he could finish his meal when we got home, and got the kids ready to go play in the play place. That was when I discovered that there was more lemonade in the chair than I thought, because her pants were SOAKED!
I had a decision to make, do I make us go home or do I strip Reagan down to her diaper and shirt and let them play....playing was the answer. So yes, I was THAT mother who let her daughter play in the play place with only a diaper, shirt and socks on!
The story doesn't end there. I noticed her diaper was droopy, so I quickly changed her. I mentally noted that I was putting on the last diaper in my bag. No big deal...I would have plenty of time to fill it before playgroup tomorrow.
Reagan, in her typical fashion, proved that I had flawed thinking. No more than two minutes later she filled her diaper. So now I was THAT mother who let her child play in her diaper and shirt AND stink up the play place.
I quickly gathered up children, shoes, and all the randomness that comes from venturing out with children. We headed home where there were baths all around, and then the blessed quietness that is bedtime!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment